• 01237 424679 / 07921 863028

Electrics, Certificates & Building Control

By law, the onus falls upon the homeowner or landlord of the property to ensure that any electrical work carried out in their propery is done correctly. They must be able to prove that their electrical works comply with the Part P electrical regulations. It’s a criminal offense if they cannot do this.

It means local authorities have the power to remove any electrical works that don’t abide by the regulations. As such, prosecutions can be carried out in the Magistrates’ Courts.

Do All Electrical Works Fall Within Part P?

Notification to your local building control body is required if you’re doing any of the following work:

  • Replacing a fuse box
  • Changing or adding to an existing circuit in a room that has a bath, shower, sauna heater, or a swimming pool. This applies if it’s low voltage (230V) or extra-low voltage
  • Installing a new circuit, including low or extra-low voltage
  • Altering or adding to an existing circuit in a room containing a sauna, heater, or a swimming pool

What Should Homeowners Ask Their Electrical Contractor?

If a homeowner is aware of the work they’re going to do is notifiable, they’ll have to employ an electrician. They should be registered with a government-approved registered body such as NICEIC. You can check an electricians registration online here; www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk and also with thier registered body (e.g. NICEIC)

Non-registered electrical workers can be employed. But, the home owner is then responsible for notifing (and paying the associated fees) to the local building control body OR alternativley the home owner can employ a registered third-party certifier to inspect and test the work. Inspections need to be carried out both during and after it’s done.

Failure to notify electrical works can lead to problems in the future, particularly if you are trying to sell the property.

Why Should Homeowners use Registered Electricians

If you’re a homeowner needing electrical works doing, there are tons of advantages to using a registered electrician.

To be Part P compliant, a registered electrician will ensure their work meets the UK national standard, BS 7671 (Requirements for Electrical Installations). Thier registering body will also have ensured that;

  • Your electrician is qualified, including up to date with the latest regulations.
  • Has the correct equipment to install and test thier work, and it has been calibrated
  • Has the correct level of insurance for the work they undertake
  • Is competent, and they will have inspected a sample of the electricians work each year to validate this.

Plus, when you employ a registered electrician, you won’t have to deal with the building control authorities directly.

When the work’s done, a registered electrician will give their client an Electrical Installation Certificate or a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate. This document confirms the work meets BS 7671.

A separate Building Regulations Compliance Certificate is issued for Part P work. This confirms the work meets building regulations.

PWR Electrics

We are registered Approved Electrical Contractors with NICEIC, the largest registering body in the UK. You can find us on the government Competent Persons Register for both Installation and Inspection & Testing.